Click Here to Add a Title
Click Here to Add a Title
Click Here to Add a Title
Click this text to start editing. This block is a basic combination of a title and a paragraph. Use it to welcome visitors to your website, or explain a product or service without using an image. Try keeping the paragraph short and breaking off the text-only areas of your page to keep your website interesting to visitors.
Oct 1, 2015
Sept 8, 2015
May 22, 2015
May 20, 2015
April 28, 2015
April 27, 2015
I'm a paragraph. Click once to begin entering your own content. You can change my font, size, line height, color and more by highlighting part of me and selecting the options from the toolbar.
USTA National Men's 55 & 60 Grass Courts
Tournament was held at the Wessen Club in Pontiac, Michigan. Congratulations to Ross Hessler (Woody) and Jon Tyrell (Woody) for winning the National Grass 55 Doubles Title over Mike Fedderly and Michael Tammen, No. 1 Seeds, 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
USTA Super Category II
Tournament was held at the Palisades Tennis Club, Newport Beach. Congratulations to Tad Yukawa (Woody) and his partner Craig Edgecumbe for winning the Men's 70 Doubles over Dean Corley and Dave Van Den Berg 4-6 ,6-1, 6-4
USTA National Men's 55 Hard Court Championships 2016
Tournament is held at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden, October 31 – November 6, 2016. The Woody competitors had a very successful run during this tournament.
Pierre Maraschal made it to the Semi Finals where he lost in 3 sets.
Ross Hessler and John Tyrell, made it to the finals where they lost in the Finals for the Silver Ball.
Congratulations to the Woody Competitors who played so well!!!!
ASICS World Tennis Classic-SUPER CATEGORY II: January 23-31, 2016
Welcome to the world's largest adult/senior tournament! Now a USTA SUPER CATEGORY II tournament, our continued growth forces us to have a player limit in 2016 to 800 players
- Congrats to Pierre for winning the ASICS Super Cat II 55s Men's Championship.
- Tad Yukawa and his doubles partner, Craig Edgecumbe made it to the Finals in the Mens 70 Doubles, beating the No. 1 Seeds, but lost to the No. 2 Seeds in the Finals.
- Perhaps the first Woody engagement? Geoff Heineman's brother (Peter) just announced his engagement to Karin (part of Joe Kells entourage) whom he first met at The Woody. CONGRATULATIONS!!
89th Annual Pacific Southwest Category II tournament, September 13-20, 2015
- Palisades Tennis Club in Newport Beach, California, hosted the Pacific Southwest Category II tournament. Tad Yukawa (Man of Wood) and Dean Corley, seeded 1, won the Men’s 70 Division, 2-6, 6-0, 6-4 over the number 2 seeds. There were 8 entries in this division, played over 3 days.
USTA National Father Son & Grandfather/Grandson Grass Court Championships were held at the Longwood Cricket Club in Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts, July 13-15, 2015.
- Paul Settles (Man of Wood) and son Christian won the Father/Son National Grass Courts Silver Ball, beating the 5th and 2nd seeded teams to make it to the finals. In the finals they played and lost to the 4th seeded team.
- Kevin and Grayson Frazier (Men of Wood) won the Father/Son Grass Courts Bronze Ball, beating the 1st seeded team.
USTA National Men's 65 and 70 Hard Court Championships were held at the Racquet Club of Irvine, Irvine, CA, June 15-21.
- Tad Yukawa entered the 70 National Singles, and drew the 5th seed and lost, which meant he could enter the consolation round. He played 5 rounds losing 1-3 games per opponent and won in the consolation finals.
Congratulations to the Men of Wood for their accomplishments!!
Hessler and Tyrell, 55 National Grass Courts Gold Ball Champions
The USTA National Men's 55 and 60 Grass Court Championships were held at the Wessen Lawn Tennis Club in Pontiac, Michigan, September 2-7, 2015. Ross Hessler and John Tyrell won the 55 National Grass Courts Gold Ball, beating the 4th and 5th seeded teams to make it to the finals. In the finals they played and beat the 1st seeded team, Cash and Tammen in straight sets,
Congratulations to the “Men of Wood”!!!
FATHER - DAUGHTER CATEGORY I NATIONALS
Jim Settles, Senior, Man of Wood, played the Cat 1, Father-daughter in May 2015, made it to the Consolation finals, but lost to his daughter in-law and her father. It is such a great accomplishment for these men, whose age requirement was 80, to be out there playing and with their daughters. Applaud Jim, Man of Wood, who has graduated to the 80's.
Division III National Title
Paul Settles, Man of Wood, coached his Claremont-McKenna Stags tennis team to the Division III National Title finishing with no losses this year. They soundly defeated Middlebury 5-0 in the national title match of the 2015 NCAA Division III Men’s Tennis Championships on May 20 at the Lindner Family Tennis Center. For the Stags, it is the second national title in program history, the other, a tie, coming in 1981.
Our Congratulations to Paul!!!!
Westwood Senior Championships - May 22-26, 2014
Jack Horne claims he was one of the best losers in 2014, as evidenced by winning two consolation rounds. We all know that winning a Consolation Draw is an accomplishment as well. The 55 National Hardcourts Cat I Men's 55 Doubles Consolation (below), and the Westwood Senior Championships held at the Westwood Country Club, Austin, Texas. There were 422 competitors of which one (1) was a "Men of Wood":
Jack Horne, Champion, Men's 50 Doubles Consolation
Jack deserves a round of applause for his accomplishments in 2014, as well as all of the other "Men of Wood". Again, we knew they were good, and they rose to the top. Congratulations!!
55 National Hardcourts - Cat I, ASICS World Tennis Classics Cat I-II
If you are impressed with the Men of Wood at the Woody you will be proud of their accomplishments at the:
- 55 National Hardcourts, Indian Wells, November 2014, there were 91 competitors, three(3) of which were the Men of Wood. The tournament was held over 7 days.
Ross Hessler and Greg Hing, Champions, Men's 55 Doubles, won Gold Balls. Cat I
Jack Horne, Champion, Men's 55 Doubles Consolation
- ASICS World Tennis Classic, held at Mission Hills Country Club, Rancho Mirage, January 2015. There were 751 competitors, 6 of which were The Men of Wood. The tournament was 9 days.
Pierre Mareschal, Finalist in the Mens 55 Singles. Cat II
Kevin Frazier and Jack Horne, Mens 55 Doubles Quarter Finals. Cat II
Jon Tyrell and Ross Hessler, Champions, Mens 55 Doubles . Cat II
Tad Yukawa Finalist, 70 Mixed Doubles, won a Silver Ball. Cat I.
It was a lot of fun to watch The Men of Wood participate in these Category I and II tournaments.
It was a great to see The Men of Wood, who do so well with wood racquets be so accomplished with the new technology. We knew they were good, and they rose to the top. Congratulations!!
Submit noteworthy items: (items will be reviewed by Granville)
* items required